Sunday, October 19, 2008

Feeds: Day 4 (final day)

I wasn't surprised that when I checked my feeds today only two had new postings. The first was Library Stuff and the post was disappointing. It was a short blog from Steve who said he was disappointed to find out that just when he deleted his Twitter account, Britney Spears created one. Maybe he was being sarcastic? I can only hope so. The other feed with a new post was NPR Topics: Books. I'm really beginning to like this feed. The newest post was on a book of poems by Sharon Dolin titled Burn and Dodge. Not a lot of information is given about the collection except that it is on the theme of sin. Still, I find myself really liking this feed because it gives quick information on new books of all genres and at least part of the time has pretty in depth information on them. While I know books are far from all a library is about, new ones of interest still matter (and I want to know about them anyway). I will probably keep track of this feed. As far as the others go, I will drop the genealogy feed for now just because I rarely find much I understand or that is relevant to me right now. Library Stuff seems like the weaker of the two library feeds, so I will drop it as well. I will try and keep up with librarian.net as it seems interesting and helpful. My overall opinion of feeds is that they can be a really good way to keep up on certain topics. I was really happy to discover how easy they are to follow. I have in the past joined discussion forums on topics I am interested in, and they completely clogged my inbox. There was just too much to read every day. The feeds I have been watching this week seem to provide relevant information in manageable amounts. I can really see their potential.

No comments: